Sunday, August 21, 2005

excuse me, do you know me?

I had a surreal only-near-silicon-valley moment last Saturday. It was almost like finding a long lost relative.

We were in Tahoe over the weekend for a wedding, and at the local playground I saw that one of the other dads was wearing a shirt that said "Battery Ventures" on the sleeve. I stared and stared, and finally as we were leaving I had to go up to him:

"Hi, I'm sorry but I noticed your shirt says Battery Ventures on it. Do you work there?"

"Yes, I do," says the BV Dad.

"Do you know Larry -----?"

"Yes, I do, are you, ... ?"

"Actually, I don't know him at all, but we share the same name. And every time I google myself, he always comes up first- Larry ----- of Battery Ventures!"

BV Dad, and the other folks in earshot, break into laughter. "Well," says BV Dad, "Larry's a great guy."

"I know! And, he's got a great name! Well, next time you see him, tell him the other Larry ----- says hi!"

3 Comments:

Blogger Meadow said...

I share my name with a professional wrestler. His name always comes up first, too. It's not even his real name. Why would a professional wrestler choose the name Renée Dupree for himself? It's kinda girly.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

wow, how frequently do you Google yourself?????

wtuchi<--new motorcycle from Japan

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am Larry Cheng. I used to work at Battery. I have to say I cracked up when I read this blog post.

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home